Social icons

At the tender age of 21, I think I have a pretty good grasp on who I am and who I am not. I mean, a few months ago, I would've jumped ecstatically at the chance to snatch up all of Zara's fall/winter 2013 sale stock. But did you know that fast fashion retailers such as Zara, H&M, Uniqlo, and Topshop all contribute to the environmental conundrum that we call global warming? If you're wondering how, here's a really quick (and incomplete) list for you: 1) fast fashion is highly expendable (cheaply-manufactured clothing means poor quality and then eventually a trip to the landfill), 2) fast fashion causes air pollution (think cheap labor and large factories in countries with poorly regulated air emissions), and 3) fast fashion consumes a lot of water (water that could be used for, you know, drinking; fun fact, the earth is running out of fresh water). And since you like learning, here's a little excerpt from an article about the relationship between sustainability and consumerism written by Joy et al.

"Fast fashion--low cost clothing collections based on current, high-cost luxury fashion trends--is, by its very nature, a fast-response system that encourages disposability (Fletcher 2008)... While fast fashion companies can emulate luxury products, they may be less able to match deeper elements of value, such as high ethical standards in sourcing, efficient use of material, low-impact manufacturing, assembly, and distribution... [And while] dreams and desires [of luxury goods] feed consume behavior, they must be constrained if sustainability is to be viable. Young consumers will need to embrace a significant shift in consumerism: no longer routinely purchasing on impulse, and no longer routinely viewing their acquisitions through the lens of short-term thinking".

So, like my aunty W. taught me, quality is important. And even though I can't promise that I will no longer buy anything from fast fashion retailers, being aware of how fast fashion pollutes our earth is more than enough to make me more selective of what I buy and review and what my brain tricks me into thinking I "need" (for the record, all I really need is some food and water and maybe a jacket so I don't die of pneumonia during Canadian winters). So let's all stay aware of the issue at hand and how it can affect our earth. After all, there is much more than just 7 billion humans that depend on this earth.

On a more ironic note, here's an outfit from when Eric and I adventured around Singapore's Garden by the Bay decked out in The Editor's Market.

crop top & skirt c/o THE EDITOR'S MARKET
ring c/o RUE GEMBON
white sandals
zara bag
oliver peoples sunglasses (here)
PHOTOS BY ERIC

 C L O S E T
 T W I T T E R
 P O R T F O L I O

22 comments

  1. The exact reason I haven't gone shopping like I used to in months. Since I moved back to the UK, I can count on one hand the amount of times I have purchased clothes from fast fashion retailers. (I still go in-store to try on clothes when I'm bored though).
    I'd rather save up my money and invest in quality pieces. this is the same reason, I'm selling and giving away a lot of my clothes. I want a small wardrobe with clothing I can trust if you get what I mean.

    Moving on, great outfit. Love the all-white. You've got a great figure x

    O. R. R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for writing this post. Although a lot of us are probably aware of the true cost of fast fashion, we (myself included) can easily push it to the back of minds when we 'need' the latest trend. It's definitely got me reconsidering my habits again.
    Also, a lovely, classic, wearable take on the all white outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, exactly what I needed to read at the moment. Currently going through a huge anxiety attack phase with wanting to downsize my wardrobe of everything and just start investing in quality pieces and refining my taste.

    You're such a beaut - missh you! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written. Truly one of my favorite looks of you!
    With love,

    Joy

    | justlikesushi.com |

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely and fresh set! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just Discovered your blog yesterday on I'm on it since then !
    I LOVE your style, your amazing :) I add your blog to my favs for sure !

    Please come visit mine to tell me what you think about it :)
    http://the4hundredbeats.blogspot.fr/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving this all white ensemble! I think I need a midi skater skirt! (:

    Yuen @ The Craziest Paradigm - a 'lil bit of rust & stardust

    ReplyDelete
  8. unfortunately high fashion results in the similar harm nowadays. Luxury brands like Prada, Burberry, Helmut Lang or even Phillip Lim and Alexander Wang have outsourced their productions to poor Asian countries meanwhile using worse fabrics and cheaper labors. What's worse, according to most their annual conferences last year, under the crush of corruption fighting in China that leads to a huge downfall in sales, they will keep on cutting down their production budget, which means the quality of luxury commodities will be going through a very hard time in 2014... :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fast fashion is kind of scary...but I feel that it's difficult for people on a budget to get away from. Quality is key for sure, though. I think I'll slowly work towards a better shopping practice...Perhaps something like shopping less and saving up for one or two quality pieces every two months. Great post though...it's good to be aware! That said, love love LOVE the all white ensemble! It's so refreshing :)

    -Rose

    rose-et-violet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this post, very important unspoken message.
    Also, stunning stunning photos!

    All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The photos are really amazing! I love your outfits, but I'm also impressed by the photos and places where you take them <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to be more selective of the items I buy too but it's not as easy when it's so readily available and for much cheaper. Anyway, love the photos! x

    http://moiraparton.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alyssa you are one of the most inspiring bloggers out there! Plus, you have excellent writing skills. I love your blog entries!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ove your blog and style i must follow you

    ReplyDelete
  16. i never thought of the whole thing this way and I really should! thank you Alyssa, gonna keep that in mind next time i go shopping (:

    wawachunks.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bienvenue chez Entreprise Peinture Déco, Plus de 20 ans d'expérience
    Devis Peinture - Entreprise Peinture-Déco
    www.entreprisepeinturedeco.fr/devis-peintures/devis-peinture/
    Besoin de conseils avant de faire votre choix entre plusieurs devis de peinture ? Pour cela, il est très important de vous assurer de la fiabilité de l'entreprise à ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bienvenue chez Entreprise Peinture Déco, Plus de 20 ans d'expérience
    Devis Peinture - Entreprise Peinture-Déco
    www.entreprisepeinturedeco.fr/devis-peintures/devis-peinture/
    Besoin de conseils avant de faire votre choix entre plusieurs devis de peinture ? Pour cela, il est très important de vous assurer de la fiabilité de l'entreprise à ...

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's a shame, because I love H&M....but I've been really into thrifting lately! fashion trends always get recycled from season to season, so you can always find something that is on trend at the thrift shop that is probably way better quality and a fraction of the price :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. monochrome look♡
    love that combination of a cropped shirt and a long skirt

    Claire, from chopstickloset
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.