Social icons

Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion blog wearing a sustainable and ethical Shaina Mote jumpsuit from New Classics Studios. Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion blog wearing a sustainable and ethical Shaina Mote jumpsuit from New Classics Studios. Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion blog wearing a sustainable and ethical Shaina Mote jumpsuit from New Classics Studios. Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion blog wearing a sustainable and ethical Shaina Mote jumpsuit from New Classics Studios. Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion blog wearing a sustainable and ethical Shaina Mote jumpsuit from New Classics Studios. Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion blog wearing a sustainable and ethical Shaina Mote jumpsuit from New Classics Studios. Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion blog wearing a sustainable and ethical Shaina Mote jumpsuit from New Classics Studios. Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion blog wearing a sustainable and ethical Shaina Mote jumpsuit from New Classics Studios. Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion blog wearing a sustainable and ethical Shaina Mote jumpsuit from New Classics Studios. Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion blog wearing a sustainable and ethical Shaina Mote jumpsuit from New Classics Studios. Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion blog wearing a sustainable and ethical Shaina Mote jumpsuit from New Classics Studios.

About a week ago, I was asked to give a presentation to a group of 10-15 year olds girls about age-appropriate clothing and trends, which got me thinking about how much I would dislike discussing age-appropriate clothing and trends. It's not that these subjects are particularly boring; it more or less has to do with the fact that: a) I'm a huge believer in "wear whatever you want, when you want", and b) trends suck. After all, they really only lend themselves to driving our consumption-based culture and fulfilling people's (including my own) constant need for material satisfaction.

In a world where everyone is trying to catch up with everyone else, it's no wonder that we can barely keep up with the pace of fast fashion. Fashion is the third most polluting industry in the world, and the second largest consumer of fresh water. North America alone produces more than 12 million tonnes of waste in textiles, accounting for 5% of all landfill production. So, more than ever, being conscious and mindful about where and how you shop is becoming more important than ever.

With that being said, the solution is quite simple. Invest in your clothing. buy less, and wear more. Your clothes shouldn't be disposable.

JUMPSUIT / NEW CLASSICS STUDIOS
SANDALS / SACAI LUCK
SUNGLASSES / SIMILAR

PHOTOS BY ERIC YUN

15 comments

  1. in love with that jumpsuit! gorgeous outfit :)

    Rachel // Style Soup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that jumpsuit is so cool! Love the sandals too!
    xx
    Claudia
    www.trendenciesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, gorgeous look!!
    xx
    www.fuss.co.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need that jumpsuit in my life, it's gergeous!

    I never new that fashion is so bad for the enviroment
    like that. Of course I knew it was bad, but wauw.
    Good I lobe vintage then hahah.

    Much Love, M
    Blvckorsomething.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! And I couldn't agree more! x

    theminimalpeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Amazing and Stunning Look as always. <3


    SelestyMe.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool jumpsuit and love your philosophy - invest in special pieces and basics and you'll have an amazing wardrobe.
    EverRose.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That jumpsuit is amazing! At first I thought it was a long dress

    Twinvibes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That jumpsuit tho! It's everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great point of view I feel the same way about the points you made here about trend/age and buying less fast fashion and investing on better items.
    You look great.
    MA

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I need that jumpsuit in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Your clothes shouldn't be disposable" ... This really resonated with me. I think we all often get caught up in the accessibility of fast fashion and keeping up with the latest trends. I know i've been guilty of it in the past and even though I often donate my clothes to shelters and second hand stores, it still feels excessive. I'm just wasting my money and have nothing to show for it... Investing in quality clothes really does save money in the long run.
    Now on to your outfit, I love this jumpsuit on you. Great look!

    xo, jackie
    stylemydreams.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. So fashion girl, Thanks for your sharing this post. Wishes to share more to us.

    tiffany dragonfly lamp

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.