Social icons

Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion and style blog wearing 3.1 Phillip Lim, sustainable sandals from New Classics Studios, and Baserange T-shirt. Based in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. www.ordinarypeople.ca.
Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion and style blog wearing 3.1 Phillip Lim, sustainable sandals from New Classics Studios, and Baserange T-shirt. Based in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. www.ordinarypeople.ca.

I can't pinpoint when, but some time along the four years that I've been blogging, this phenomenon that we love and know as "fashion blogging" has become boring. Boring in that it fails to satiate any sort of creative will without coming accross as superficial and lackluster. After all, when catering to a general audience whose attention span may or may not last no longer than 6 seconds (as demonstrated by Vine), how else can we feasibly capture people's imaginations with simple words and photos? Sure, shock value works great, but at the end of the day, when it comes to fashion blogging, all we really have at our disposal are our pretentiously overworked personalities and the too-good-to-be-true lives we pretend to live. And I'm not saying that I refuse to take part of this farce (after all, I'm very much so at the heart of it), but sometimes it just makes me wonder how I could possibly refine blogging into something less perfect, more raw, and just, me. All I really want to do is make cool shit.


PHOTOS BY ERIC YUN
Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion and style blog wearing 3.1 Phillip Lim, sustainable sandals from New Classics Studios, and Baserange T-shirt. Based in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. www.ordinarypeople.ca. Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion and style blog wearing 3.1 Phillip Lim, sustainable sandals from New Classics Studios, and Baserange T-shirt. Based in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. www.ordinarypeople.ca.
Alyssa Lau from the Ordinary People fashion and style blog wearing 3.1 Phillip Lim, sustainable sandals from New Classics Studios, and Baserange T-shirt. Based in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. www.ordinarypeople.ca.
SANDALS/ New Classics Studios
T-SHIRT / New Classics Studios
TROUSERS / 3.1 Phillip Lim
SWEATER / Noul


12 comments

  1. Love this baggy relaxed outfit!
    xx
    Claudia
    www.trendenciesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, your posts are a great inspiration. My attention when it comes to your posts lasts much longer than 6 seconds. I often think about your outfits and try to incorporate some details that I like most and that fit my aesthetics and style into my everyday outfits. I view your inspiration posts few times, for them to stuck in my head. Don't put us, readers/viewers into one bag...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jay! I know I have some AWESOME readers, and I definitely didn't mean to make y'all sound any less great than you are. I've been recently feeling a little less satisfied with what blogging has to offer lately and for some reason, it all just came out in a post. But, as always, thank YOU and everyone else who comments for bringing a little more depth to my posts and inspiring me to keep doing what I do. x

      Delete
  3. same opinion with jay i just dunno how to put it into words!
    you'e genuine and creative to me

    sydsense.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your lovely words Sydney. They always make me feel fuzzy inside :)

      Delete
  4. !! I have always admired your style of writing!! It's short but it's so well written, you can really feel your personality from it (that skill of writing is something most people don't have imo). I always look forward to what you have to say with your outfits (which I admire just as much). Also when you and Eric started to film - it was so exciting! and the style was on a whole different level from what's out there. That's why, I hope, one day (when I come back from Japan) to collab with you guys ^3^; (if you can recall who I am ah ha ha...) Anyway, I definitely think you make cool shit all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mia--you are much too kind!! And of course I remember you! Make sure to send me an e-mail when you get back, and have an incredible time in Japan. I'm SO jealous.

      Delete
  5. Such editorial photos! And I have the very same sentiments too. Too many people out there with the title "fashion blogger", I just like fashion and blogging, can't it be as simple as that without the usual title and classification.

    xx
    Xin

    http://www.xincerely.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make the coolest shit .You are the coolest shit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make the coolest shit .You are the coolest shit.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.